Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hand Me Down Dresser


On Labor day this year we definitely Labored. We helped my brother and his family move to their cute new home. After repainting this dresser "Thrice" they were ready to get rid of it. So I threw it in the van figuring I could find somewhere to put it. 


The paint was really soft and gummy. I didn't want to do a ton of sanding but I didn't want that sticky paint either. It was bad mostly on the top so I did a quick "once over" with the belt sander and called it good.

I had a small can of paint I found in the Lowe's "reject pile".  
*A great way to find fun colors for way cheap.*  


A little spray paint on the handles 


I wanted a little something extra, but subtle. I found a Damask print I liked on the Googles;-), enlarged it and cut it out to use as a template. I then used a polyurethane to give a tone on tone pattern. 

*note* The card-stock stencil didn't end up with very smooth edges. I think I would look for an actual template if I ever try that again. Also my pattern has turned yellowish so maybe I would use a modpodge instead. 

I put this next to my makeup spot to hold hair brushes, headbands, eyeglasses and random "get ready things. 




Then, Just this week, I swapped the dresser in my room with the one from my sons room. I was looking for storage/display options for his Lego sets.



I found this at the DI (thrift shop) for $5. 


It didn't really have any use in his room after all so I set it aside for future thinking. Then as I was 
re setting my room I realized I needed one more drawer in my dresser. I looked, and measured, and thought "why not"

So a little more turquoise paint,  a little gold spray, a couple of L brackets and some Agents of Shield to keep me company...


and I have more room for lotions and potions.


Cameo appearance by Mel


Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment