Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Counter Makeover

I found this cute cabinet at the local thrift store. I loved the shape but knew the color needed some help.  



I had found these nifty tin strips at a craft store in Kaysville. They have a few designs. I knew I wanted to eventually find a 
way to use them. This cabinet seemed like a good place.


The edge of the table was a bit thinner than the smaller strip. I used tin snips to remove the edge. 




It did leave a bit of a sharp edge so I used a Dremmel cutting disk and just hit the edges with the flat side of the disk 


Then I pulled the counter off of the cabinet so that I could cleanly paint all of it. 


I had seen the Tim Holtz Alcohol paints and have wanted to mess with them. But I wanted this to be the specific color.
I painted the strips the turquoise. Then I squeezed a little rubbing alcohol and brown paint into a baby food jar and shook
it up to mix it well. I brushed the thinned paint onto the strip. then rubbed off with a rag leaving some behind in the details. 


Then using small tack nails I put the strip around the edge, 




I was going to use the larger edge pieces on the door. But I just wasn't liking how it lined up 
and I really wanted the cooler Knob. 


Just a fun little project 

I am liking that I have easy access for things I am going to carry to church 
but that I can hide it all away during the week.  


Crazy week ahead. I get to meet my dear friend for some Christmas shopping. Hopefully get a hair cut and sacrifice time to be Kori's European Facial model.  Yep, it will be rough.   

Hope your week is great



1 comment:

  1. Melanie, you are incredibly talented! Keep doing this! Talentless shmoes like me love living vicariously through creative souls like you!

    ReplyDelete