Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cupboards

My Mom has wanted to brighten up the cabinets in her kitchen.  

The last week of October Mom was heading to Las Vegas. Before she left we bought the paint kit. I realized she would be away from the home and not in much need of the doors, so I stole them so I could work on them at home. 



This kit is pretty cool, it comes with almost all you need.


Step one, after removing doors and all hardware, is to give them a good cleaning. Then you use the bottle on the far left. It's a de-glosser that preps your doors for the paint. No Sanding!!



Next is the bond coat / paint. Mom wanted hers light so we used it "as is" but you can get it tinted for whatever look you are after. 
(Green or Turquoise could be fun.) 


I did 3 coats


At this point you are about tired of your paint. Then the fun begins. 

Time to glaze


The glaze just gets brushed on. Just slop it on there. Leave it on in consideration of the look you are after. I painted on and wiped off but if you wanted a deeper more aged look, let it sit a minute.  


Then with the lint-free cloths provided in the kit 
you wipe the glaze off. 

I texted Mom "Right or Left" just to make sure. She liked left. So how do I lighten the right? With a handy dandy spray bottle filled with water.  I gave the door a couple of squirts and wiped more off. 


This gets me to Monday, Mom won't be home till Friday and we have invited the family to her house sunday night for sunday sweets and the bench reveal. (last post) 

I wasn't sure when we would get it done. So after being unable to sleep most of monday night followed by strange dreams that may have involved one of the quail in my yard walking around with a Tonka Truck stuck on its head followed by me yelling at Benedict Cumberbatch for his evil villain rolls. I decided tuesday would be the day to get to it. 

I broke into Mom's house.

Cleaned
deglazed
3 layers of paint


Then a return trip thursday to alternating layers of paint on the upper cabinets with glazing and rubbing down. Till it was finally time to return the doors. 

Friday evening my phone rang. I said out loud "Moms Home" then answered.

I am so glad she didn't come home to a half finished mess.  







I think it turned out pretty good. *Next up, 


Because we are adventurous And you never know till you try. 



Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment