Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Wonder Woman

I put most of this on my Facebook page over the summer so this may be a repeat for some of you. 

My 15 year old daughter is a bit of a geek girl and loves all things "geek". Doctor Who, Sherlock,  Tim Burton, Loki, and Wonder Woman.

(her own drawing)

Her bedroom was in need of some updating. When making a theme room I like to do it in accessories. That way it can adapt easily for growing out of it or moving. We are in a temporary situation so I needed  to think --How do I make her room fit this theme without painting walls?--

Then one night I had a vision/dream/nightmare and came up with the perfect curtains. That got the thought process going.

So while she spent 3 weeks being a "Nanny"for my brothers kiddos I worked on a pretty big surprise.


 Notice the Lasso of Truth

Then a bedskirt idea came, followed by the thought of adding a rug since that's a "quick" way to add a theme


The rug was an Ikea find. a beige on brown rug for about $14. I measured and outlined the design.  I then bought large bottles of craft paint. Using an application tip, I started filling in the space. 

*Major mistake to learn from. I used sharpie because I wasn't seeing my lines. As I was filling in I could see I had miss-marked some. I re-set them, then tried to paint over the bad ones. This just caused chunky paint lines with sharpie shining on through. I decided to try a bleach pen. 
I was so thrilled when it actually worked. 

But the chunky paint lines remain. Staring at me as if to mock my mistake anytime I see it:-]

If I ever make another rug I will remember the bleach pen.
Also, it would have been cheeper to have just bought a small pint can of paint. However the squeeze bottle method still gives an easier, smoother application than a brush.  

The next concern was the white wall spaces. 

I have a Brother-in-law that works at a large sign, print shop. We both searched for a few good shots of Wonder Woman that would be alright. Much of the art out there is amazing, but a little too "busty" for a 15 year olds wall. He came up with these. 





A new to us dresser and bed frame. 


(And Wonder Woman's invisible plane)

After all of this I felt like a themed bed spread would be way too much. I bought some solid blue sheets and a red comforter. I still want to add a pillow but keep forgetting. 

I have been searching for the reaction video. I guess it's gone. Needless to say, she came home thrilled to find this surprise. 

It was a lot of fun to work on. I gained some new skills along the way. 

That's it for this week. Are your decorations up? Are you all done shopping? I am mostly not started but we'll get there. 

 I think I have the comments fixed. I would love to hear from you if you stopped by. 

Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment