Friday, August 14, 2015

SteamPunk bedroom

My daughter left for college leaving me with a spare room. Time for a change. I walked around fabric stores looking for inspiration when I found this fabric. I felt like it was relatively steamy so steampunk guest room it shall be. 


To the Pinterest for more inspiration. How will I do curtains? Wall stuff? How do you decorate a dresser? The thinking and nightmaring was in full swing. I was driving through the neighborhood and saw this dresser on the side of the road it had been in the weather and was quite brittle. The drawers would fall apart in your hands. I figured the main part was well enough and I set out to rescue it. (it sat in my garage almost a year. 


I tore out the drawers, tacked down the top divider and found a lovely green paint to match my fabric. (not turquoise like it looks here, see, I'm trying other things too) 


I also had a hand me down end table in need of a freshening. This was also my first foray into Chalk Paint and Holy Jeebers did I love it!  


I found a recipe at the blog InMyOwnStyle.com  It is 

1 cup latex paint
2 tablespoons Calcium Carbonate 
1 Tbsp Water

mix well and love it. It goes on nicely.  The end table was black. I covered it in 2 coats. I am now addicted to this blend. also 
DONT SPEND THE MONEY ON A LIMITED COLOR OPTION THAT COSTS 3 TIMES
 AS MUCH.

Calcium Carbonate can be found at a health food store for around $10. I have used it on multiple projects, given some away and still have over half of a 12 oz bottle. 
I then sealed it with Johnson's Paste wax. Found in the Lowe's Cleaning aisle for about $12 compared to $30 if ordered through the same companies with limited color choice.   


Next, to Ikea for a scroll frame. They have a cool mirror that was more than I wanted to spend, but I knew this was what I wanted so I did it. Then immediately broke the mirror. (zoinks)  
I am loving the Rust-Oleum Metallic paints. Oil Rubbed Bronze and Flat Chestnut have been my "go-to's" I painted this in the bronze for a deep grey then, holding the can high, I added a light spray of the chestnut and an even lighter spray of Krylon Caramel Latte gold. I am enjoying the speckled finish. 

Since the mirror was gone I needed something to put in the frame. I would love to find a Steampunk print but I don't have the budget for it so I went into my stash and made a paper flower vine. The red votives were a thrift store find. 


Onto the curtains. I was trying to think of a steamy tieback and came up with this.  

I LOVE THEM!!!  I am so amazed they worked. I cut fabric pieces shaped like below. 
In fact this is the inside of the tieback just for a flash of color if you see them. 



I had an old white bird house that has been sitting in a closet. Bit of paint, a flexible metal detail, some succulents. (later replaced with fake ones) 


The Star got a new silver paint job, and the lamp came from Hobby Lobby. I liked it because It was more structural. 


I looked for final photos, I'm not finding any. It doesn't really matter as we moved soon after and the parts and pieces got spread between 2 households.  I really hoped to set up the curtains in my room but I would need to make more panels for a huge window. The fabric is loong gone from that store which is closing anyway. I also have the ugly valance of horrible vertical blinds blocking the way.  So the curtains and tie backs are boxed up for another house. 


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! i'm going to stop by sometime and see the room in person. We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete